Mustansiriya Medical Journal

RESEARCH ARTICLE
Year
: 2015  |  Volume : 14  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 64--68

Clinical application of brainstem evoked response audiometry in non-organic hearing loss


Mahdi M S Al-Dujaily 
 

Correspondence Address:
Mahdi M S Al-Dujaily
Depatrment of Surgery, College of Medicine, Al-Mustansiriya University, Baghdad

Objectives: The application of auditory brainstem response in the hearing evaluation of patients with suspected non-organic hearing loss. Patients & Methods: At Al-Rasheed military hospital (from May 1985 to Oct 1986), 137 patients with suspected non-organic hearing loss (NOHL) were referred for auditory brainstem response test, only 32 patients (aged 18-35 years) were selected on criteria that indicated the absence of middle ear problem and they have marked exaggeration by pure tone audiogram with pure tone average (PTA) of 70 db or more in 500-2000 Hz. Results: The results revealed that only 25 % of the suspected cases have a genuine organic hearing losses, while the rest of the cases (75 %) either have a pure NOHL (about 16 %) or overlapping an organic hearing loss (about 59 %). Conclusion: For diagnosis of non-organic hearing loss, dependence on pure tone audiometry and acoustic reflex threshold (ART) are unreliable procedures and they should be supplemented by neurophysiological tests of which ABR is one of the powerful tests in this respect.


How to cite this article:
S Al-Dujaily MM. Clinical application of brainstem evoked response audiometry in non-organic hearing loss.Mustansiriya Med J 2015;14:64-68


How to cite this URL:
S Al-Dujaily MM. Clinical application of brainstem evoked response audiometry in non-organic hearing loss. Mustansiriya Med J [serial online] 2015 [cited 2023 Feb 1 ];14:64-68
Available from: https://www.mmjonweb.org/article.asp?issn=2070-1128;year=2015;volume=14;issue=2;spage=64;epage=68;aulast=S;type=0